Pages 84-169A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 7, Leek and the Moorlands.
Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1996. (1,105 ha.) in area, included the town of Leek and a rural area to the east, south, and west.
The population of Leek parish was 19,724 in 1981 and 19,518 in 1991. 15) The name Lowe may be derived from a burial mound.
Two have been identified within the area of the former township. In the later 12th and early 13th century it was a stopping place for the earls of Chester, the lords of Leek manor, who may have had a house there.
The Newcastle road, which crosses the Churnet at Wall bridge, was presumably the medieval Wall Street, where there was a burgage in the 13th century and where several people were living in the 1330s. 25) There may have been settlement at Woodcroft on the west side of the Newcastle road by the early 13th century, when there was mention of three bondmen at Wildecroft in the earl of Chester's fee of Leek. 26) Moorhouse south-east of the medieval town may have been an occupied site by the 13th century. 27) By 1503 the house had passed by marriage from the Bailey family to John Jodrell of Yeardsley, in Taxall (Ches.), and it was still the home of the Jodrell family in 1700. 32) having bought it in 1562, the family remained there until the 1840s when they moved to the nearby Dee Bank Farm. 33) At the Dissolution Dieulacres had a farm called Sheephouse on the Cheddleton road near the southern boundary. 34) The spring south of the town to the east of the Cheddleton road was evidently named in honour of Our Lady in the Middle Ages.
Probably soon afterwards it passed to the Grosvenor family, which owned the 65-a. The area was known as Lady Wall Dale in the late 16th century, (fn. 36) Dieulacres abbey was dissolved in 1538, and the town's borough status seems to have been lost after the grant of most of the abbey's property, including Leek manor, to Sir Ralph Bagnall in 1552.
Until the 19th century the town consisted mainly of the area round the market place and of the streets leading off it, presumably the plan of the early 13th-century borough.
Cock Low, recorded as 'Catteslowe' in the later 16th century and as Cock Lowe or Great Lowe in 1723, (fn. high, an excavation uncovered a flint implement and fragments of an urn and of human bone. Standing at the junction of several roads, the town was a commercial centre by the 13th century.
16) stood south- west of the town between Waterloo Road and Spring Gardens. The mound was destroyed in 1907 in the course of the development of the area, but an urn containing a cremation burial of the early or middle Bronze Age was discovered and also a heart-shaped carved stone. 17) In 1859 workmen digging in Birchall meadows west of the Cheddleton road broke into a mound where a cinerary urn was discovered. 18) A Roman road ran through the Leek area, and coins forming part of a hoard found 2 miles south of the town in the earlier 1770s were said to bear the inscription of the Gallic emperor Victorinus (269–71). In 1207 the king confirmed to Earl Ranulph a weekly market and an annual seven-day fair, and the earl established a borough probably about the same time.
In the eastern part the rock is sandstone of the Millstone Grit series. 11) In 1327 eight people were assessed for tax in Leek 'cum membris' and 14 in Lowe, while in 1333 there were 33 in both combined. 12) In 1666 the number assessed for hearth tax was 76 in Leek and 17 in Lowe hamlet. 13) The population of Leek and Lowe township was 3,489 in 1801 and 3,703 in 1811.
There is Boulder Clay over the rock in the Ball Haye Green area and alluvium along the Churnet. It rose to 4,855 in 1821 and 6,374 in 1831 and then grew steadily to reach 12,760 in 1891. 14) The population of the urban district in 1901 was 15,484 and of the civil parish of Lowe 176.