In 1992, Central began offering courses in preparation for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) curriculum; the first exams were given in May 1996.
The school began the program as a county-wide magnet program under the guidance of principal Leontine Espy and IB coordinator Elizabeth Hinesley.
The name was changed to Gresham High in the late 1880s, and the school remained open until 1913.
In the case of Central, the recently built Lanier Senior building on Napier became known as "Lanier B", while the junior high on Hendley was renamed "Lanier A;" the two shared duty as Central High School.
The former Miller Junior High School for Girls became Miller A Jr.
This fit with Bibb County's new pattern of creating high school-middle school complexes with directional names.
Other school complexes created by the mergers included Northeast and Southwest, the latter of which later spun off a new school named Southeast.